First Day 1948
First Day 1948 Entrance
In the early 1900s, the Sisters of Mercy were a strong presence in Cumberland and Northern Rhode Island. In the 1940s, three local families – the Costellos, the McLaughlins and the Morans – appealed to the community to establish a Catholic school in the region. Sr. Mary Pierre Donnelly was the first principal.
In 1948, the former Aldrich property on Wrentham Road was purchased and Mercymount Country Day School opened in September with 72 boys and girls in grades Pre-K through Fourth.
In 1952, they school grew to include the nearby Swift Estate as well. This included a barn that was used for a gym and school events. It was destroyed by fire in In 1954, the school graduated its first (and only) class of 9th graders; the Class of 1955 forward graduated 8th graders.
The Mother’s Club was founded to volunteer their time and support the growth of the school through fundraisers. These included candy and cookie sales, cookbooks and an annual garden party. Much of these profits went toward the building of a new school. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held in 1959 and the new school building opened in September 1960, with Sr. Frances Lynch as principal.
In 1960, a modern building opened to accommodate a growing enrollment.
By 2000, plans were underway to construct an addition for more classrooms and administrative offices. The new addition, McAuley Wing, opened in 2006 with classrooms for three kindergarten classes, for the first time in school history. The Pre-K class was also moved from the original white school house to the “big school.” The construction included new rooms for art, music, computer and resource as well as two new classrooms and a new office suite. A stunning state-of-the art Media Center (library) is at the center of the McAuley Hall.
With the addition of a third kindergarten class, grades 1 through 5 grew each subsequent year by a third classroom, impacting the need for increased space for the Middle School. In July 2010, an addition was raised over the existing cafeteria. Opening in August 2011, this new middle school facility is comprised of four classrooms, including a double science classroom with a rooftop patio. Also included is a computer lab and small chapel, plus an elevator.
Blessed on September 8, 2011, the addition was named Foundress Hall. It honors the women leaders who have brought Mercymount Country Day School to the forefront of Catholic education in Northern Rhode Island. Catherine McAuley is recognized as the founder of the Sisters of Mercy, sponsors of Mercymount since its inception in 1948. Three principals who have led the school through significant physical transformations to our present state were honored: Sr. Pierre Donnelly, who opened the school in 1948; Sr. Frances Lynch, who led the building of the original brick building that opened in 1960; Sr. Martha Mulligan who led the school through the building of two additions in 2006 and 2011.
Mercymount Country Day School currently educates approximately 350 students in grades PreSchool-8. The families are from 25 surrounding cities and towns in Northern Rhode Island and South Central Massachusetts.
The School is sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, Northeast Community, and is directed by members of an appointed Board of Trustees.