- Children will understand all the gifts that God has given us and the power we have to make choices to show love for all people created in God’s image.
- Understand the teachings of the Bible and prayer
- Understand the importance of sacraments especially Penance/Reconciliation
- Examine the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes
- Understand and practice the Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy
- Students will demonstrate understanding of abstract mathematical concepts
- Develop a number sense
- Estimate sums, differences, products and quotients
- Identify geometrical shapes and their properties
- Multiply and divide with 0 to 12 and with 1, 2 and 3 digit numbers
- Calculate perimeter and area of polygons
- Calculate elapsed time
- Make charts and graphs
- Understand the concept of probability
- Identify and represent fractions
- Students will understand several topics under the following science categories.
- Life Science
- Physical Science
- Earth Science
- The Human Body
- Laboratory experiences include “Earth Materials” and “The Sun, Moon and Stars” FOSS kits.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing and comprehension skills.
- Personal Narratives
- Formal Letters
- How-to Articles
- Persuasive Writing
- Creative Writing
- Expository Writing
- Research Writing
- Students will demonstrate understanding of the United States regions and Rhode Island through eight different strands of social studies
- Science, Technology, and Society
- Social Studies Skills (map skills, outlining, summarizing, etc.)
- Materials and Techniques:
Reinforce all the above, adding identification of different periods of art, observing/understanding symbolism used in different cultures, and how art reflects and records history in various cultures. Students will build upon their visual art vocabulary, form, value, space, rhythm, proportion. They will study foreground middle & back-ground, as well as the use of positive and negative space.
Other cultures, famous artists, space, mythology, personal objects, family, nature.
- Computer Literacy
- Using Software Applications: cut, copy, paste, spell checker, page setup, print preview, printing options, page orientation, add and remove toolbars, shortcut keys, page numbering, graphics, alignment, margins, headers and footers, text boxes, help
- Microsoft Office Word: compose, edit, and revise a variety of documents, clipart, bulleting, wordart, text wrapping, numbering, headers
- Microsoft Office Excel: Spreadsheets, charts/graphs, Formulas and functions
- Microsoft Office Publisher: Greeting Cards, brochures
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint: Text, graphics, motion clips, Internet images, transitions, animations
- Image Editing: Digital camera, Microsoft Paint
- Instructional Software Use: (Ex. Kid Pix, Carmen USA)
- Ethical Use of Technology (Covered in Library Classes)
- Using Technology for Research (Covered in Library Classes)
- Internet Use
- Review and reinforce skills previously taught
- Locate nonfiction and reference resources
- Use the RILINK (Rhode Island Library Information Network for Kids) catalog
- Locate information in general reference resources
- Become acquainted with various genre of literature (myths, legends)
- Learn how to evaluate websites
- Review study skills and searching skills
- Identify and understand the characteristics of the 4 instrumental families and be able to name instruments by sight
- Critique performances and compositions
- Create songs on Orff instruments within specified guidelines
- Physical Fitness:
To be able to perform the physical skills with some degree of proficiency.
To be able to verbalize what exercise is and why it is needed.
To describe what cardiovascular exercise is and to understand how it benefits them
- Individual Sport:
To perform to the best of their ability the skills needed to play the sport
- Team Sport:
To be able to perform the physical skills with a good degree of proficiency. To display the use of teamwork to achieve a goal.
- All students learn how to pray Hail Mary and Our Father in Spanish. They also sing Spanish children’s songs.
- Describe oneself in Spanish
- Likes and dislikes using complete sentences, telling time
- Learn to ask and answer questions
- Use classroom and school commands
- Use vocabulary and phrases learned in grades K-2 to communicate